These are the things I’ve done to ensure a long life span for my Filofax planners.
- Saddle Soap
- Spray & Wash (or any type of gentle spot treatment)
- Meguiar’s Gold Class Rich Leather Wipes (a spray-on works as well)
- Small Bowl of Water
Of course, there are many options to use for cleaning leather but these are a few that have worked for me. Always test products first on a small area, preferably on the back of your planner to make sure the type of leather tolerates whatever you would like to apply, and research the products ahead of time to make sure it will do the right job.
- Begin by wiping it down with a damp rag and try to remove as much dirt as possible.
- Test your product in a small area and wait to see how it reacts.
- Spritz a small amount of Spray & Wash on a Q-Tip and detail the threading, buckle and any crevices that have collected dirt.
- Wipe it down with the cleaner of your choice and spot-scrub specific stains.
- You want your leather to retain its luster (like “Armor All” finish).
- Wipe it down one last time and let it set a while so that it absorbs the product.
As you can see, my mustard yellow Finsbury Filofax was getting pretty grungy. The color is prone to staining and since I am always on the go, she’s endured quite a few stains and scratches. There is a bit of cracking near the fold of the leather, but the leather wipes really renewed the porous texture and shine.
Enjoy your “renewed” leather planner. Have you found a cleaner that works really well with your leather? Please share!